Wednesday 30 July 2008

MV Doulos

Constructed in 1914, MV Doulos is the world's oldest active ocean-going passenger ship (same age as The Titanic). During her lengthy career, she has sailed under four distinct names: Medina, Roma, Franca C and Doulos. The ship has been utilised for four very different purposes: freighting goods, transporting emigrants, for cruises, and most recently in her present role as a vessel to bring knowledge, help and hope to the people of the world.

Doulos visits port cities throughout the world, supplying vital literature resources, encouraging inter-cultural understanding, training young people for more effective life and service, promoting greater global awareness, providing practical aid and sharing a message of hope in God wherever there is opportunity.
It is due to be decommissioned and so is undertaking a farewell world tour and was in Wellington for a week earlier in the month! After talking to Dad and finding out that he had been on board the Doulos back in the day (when he was a young(er) person), I was keen to go and have a look. It also has a very cheap book store so decided it was definitely worth a look!

The office decided to go together on a beautiful sunny Wellington winter day!




2 comments:

jrsmk1 said...

Hi Span
Glad you got to go and visit the Doulos. Things haven't changed. I can remember browsing hundreds (thousands) of books set out on tables when she was docked in London. If there's a record of every port of call she's ever made (and there will be; it's called the ship's log) I could probably pinpoint exactly when I visited her (hey - I was a 'young person' then!).
Didn't understand what you meant when you said "he had been onboard the Doulos back in the day"? Can you edit? Soundz like I made a flying visit to Wellington and I'm sure I didn't. Rude of me not to pop in for a tea!
Dad
xxx

jrsmk1 said...

Hi Anna
I see from my blog stats that people are starting to visit your blog from my blog, and my blog is being visited from places where I have left comments, so............

would you like to move the About me widget from your right hand panel to the top so that people understand (at first glance) what your blog is about!
Love you loads
dad
xxx