Monday 20 October 2008

Another Tiki Tour

I have recently had lots of comments of the amount of holiday I have been taking lately but I can assure everyone that I am only taking my 20 days of annual leave it just happens to be all together.
I have had Mum and Dad here for the last few weeks which has been lovely and last week we had the chance to go on a bit of a tiki tour round the top of the south island. It was my first time on the Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton. Thankfully it was a nice calm crossing so it was nice and enjoyable!


Once we arrived in Picton, we went for lunch at a lovely Marlborough vineyard, went to a chocolate factory and enjoyed a lovely scenic lookout.
On Sunday we travelled to Nelson and while Mum and Dad explored the town, I went to the beach and read my book - it was lovely!


Other highlights included an eco tour on Farewell spit, where we saw seals, birds, big sand dunes and the lighthouse at the end. It was amazing
We also enjoyed a boat ride around the Abel Tasman National Reserve and got to see split apple rock.
Dad and I wend Quadbiking in Hanmer Springs which although was very wet, it was brilliant fun power sliding round the muddy corners!


I think the highlight of the week was Whale watching in Kaikoura where we saw 4 whales, 2 pods of dusky dolphins, a seal and lots of different birds including albatross.
Mum and Dad leave in two days, and it has been great seeing them and I have loved showing them my new home, friends and church. I have also enjoyed exploring the country with them.


I feel such a responsibility to show New Zealand off at its best and feel very loyal to it which is strange after such a short amount of time. It is reassuring for me to feel this way and I hope I have done NZ justice in the recent family visits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of you on the beach! Can't wait to be out there with you!x

jrsmk1 said...

Nice pictures to accompany a succinct commentary. You got a good one of my Pentax!

Seriously though, it's been a most memorable holiday. One of the all-time greats, if not the 1. Loved meeting your friends and church. Loved being with you. Hope we've (I've) not embarrassed you too often.
love Dad xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous!